Public health officials, community leaders, churches, and residents launched an educational campaign about the human and economic impacts of the Medi-Cal expansion. The campaign was launched early this month and includes billboards, radio spots and print ads in the Bakersfield Californian.
Below are several of the potential effects a repeal of Medi-cal expansion will have on Kern’s economy:
- Our public agencies are already facing slashed budgets–an additional $305 million would be eliminated from Kern County’s economy.
- People would lose their jobs–about 4,000 jobs in health care and other industries will be lost.
- Our shortage of doctors, nurses, and other health professionals would be made even worse.
- Our local hospitals are finally being paid for the care they are providing–a trend we want to maintain.
- More than 95,000 residents would lose coverage, leaving them with no support when illness, injury or accidents occur.
Join our campaign. Send us a message to learn how you can work with us.